Untranslated Russian novels that should be

Howard Turner howard_s_turner at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sun Jul 10 15:43:58 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Many thanks for your advice on this.  There seemed to be no consensus--there
weren't any books mentioned more than once.  The subject of Dmitri Bykov caused
some disagreement, not for the first time.  Of course, he and (I presume) his
rights were at the London Book Fair earlier this year, so hardly an unknown
quantity.  But I've passed your responses on to the publisher anyway.

My own candidate would be Psalom(1975) by Fridrikh Gorenshtein, which in my
opinion is a wonderful book--among other things a reply to Dostoevsky (and
Bulgakov) from a Jewish standpoint  and a cosmic drama projected onto the
author's own experiences as a hungry and  abandoned child.  I've shared some
further thoughts about it with the Internet at  http://wp.me/pBfTB-GI .

I also have a couple of questions about the book that SEELANGS may know the
answer to:

--is there any obvious reason it was never translated into English?  (There are
French and German translations.)
--I have the  feeling I read something about a translation into Hebrew, but
can't find any trace of one.  Does anyone know if there is one?

Thanks again for your help

 Howard Turner