Untranslated Russian novels that should be

Marat Grinberg grinberm at REED.EDU
Sun Jul 10 16:03:38 UTC 2011

On 7/10/11 8:43 AM, Howard Turner wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Many thanks for your advice on this.  There seemed to be no consensus--there
> weren't any books mentioned more than once.  The subject of Dmitri Bykov caused
> some disagreement, not for the first time.  Of course, he and (I presume) his
> rights were at the London Book Fair earlier this year, so hardly an unknown
> quantity.  But I've passed your responses on to the publisher anyway.
>
> My own candidate would be Psalom(1975) by Fridrikh Gorenshtein, which in my
> opinion is a wonderful book--among other things a reply to Dostoevsky (and
> Bulgakov) from a Jewish standpoint  and a cosmic drama projected onto the
> author's own experiences as a hungry and  abandoned child.  I've shared some
> further thoughts about it with the Internet at  http://wp.me/pBfTB-GI .
>

> I also have a couple of questions about the book that SEELANGS may know the
> answer to:
>
> --is there any obvious reason it was never translated into English?  (There are
> French and German translations.)
> --I have the  feeling I read something about a translation into Hebrew, but
> can't find any trace of one.  Does anyone know if there is one?
>
> Thanks again for your help
>
>   Howard Turner

Dear Howard,

there is no translation into Hebrew.  Not only Psalom, but certainly all
of Gorenshtein needs to be translated into English.

Marat Grinberg

--
Marat Grinberg
Assistant Professor of Russian and Humanities