Untranslated Russian novels that should be

Marian Schwartz marianschwartz at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 11 12:23:52 UTC 2011

Dear All,

In 1991, Houghton Mifflin published Bernard Meares's translation of
TRAVELING COMPANIONS.  At the time I heard that the book did so poorly,
Gorenstein became unpublishable here.

This is a situation I come across fairly frequently.  If a foreign author's
first book doesn't do well, other publishers are reluctant to touch anything
else.  In this case, I think part of the problem was the choice of book,
which, unlike other works by Gorenstein I've read, is largely talking heads.
 Pity the poor translator expected to make something marketable of that.

I have no idea who made the decision to publish that particular book, but I
suspect this was simply the one that was brought to the publisher's
attention.

Marian Schwartz

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Howard Turner <howard_s_turner at yahoo.co.uk