Vasily Grossman & Beethoven/Irish song

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Thu Jul 28 10:47:31 UTC 2011

Thanks, Alexandra.  I'm no Beethoven expert, and I don't know the original texts which he set.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Alexandra Smith
Sent: 28 July 2011 10:54
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Vasily Grossman & Beethoven/Irish song

Dear Simon,

Beethoven created at least 57 compositions in the style of Irish
songs. Needless to say, the Russian version refers to the Irish cycles
since it's called The Irish party song.
As far as I can judge, the Russian version described in Grossman's
text uses the melody of one of the Irish songs created by Beethoven
but the words are different from the Irish (English language) text.

All best,
Alexandra

Quoting Simon Beattie <Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK> on Thu, 28 Jul 2011
08:32:25 +0100:

> Is it one of the "Irische Lieder", perhaps?  Beethoven set quite a few.
>
> Simon

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.