Vasily Grossman & Beethoven

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Jul 28 14:29:58 UTC 2011

This caught my attention and aroused my curiosity because my teenage
daughter is collecting Irish folksongs (seeking her roots I suppose). It
should have been easy to find  - and wasn't, so I browsed. The main
information on this subject appears to be  John Hennig, "Beethoven and
Ireland", The Irish Monthly, Vol. 75, No. 890 (Aug., 1947), pp. 332-338
and Alice Anderson Hufstader, "Beethoven's "Irische Lieder": Sources and
Problems", The Musical Quarterly, Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul., 1959), pp. 343-360.

Opinions on the number of "Irish" songs by Beethoven vary from 57 to 72,
and sometimes they get confused with his Scottish songs. They were
commissioned by George Thomson, an Edinburgh publisher, who supplied
Beethoven with the melodies, obtained from a Dr Latham in Cork, some of
which were traditional and some contemporary popular and most were sent
without words. The missing "lyrics" were mostly supplied by Thomson who
commissioned them from a variety of usually minor English and Scottish
versifiers - i.e. they were not authentic Irish folksongs.

To judge from the titles of the Irische Lieder which I can find, the
"Irlandskaia zastol'naia" lyric seems not to be one of them , or even
particularly Irish -  Betsy and Jenny (Jeannie?) don't sound very Irish,
and all that ale, grog and punch sound more like a composed English
drinking song than a folksong. And since when has death been personified
as "milady"?

The "Irlandskaia zastol'naia"seems to have been a popular concert piece
in Russia, with several recordings by well-known singers - and none of
them gives the original title in their website descriptions. I had
thought originally that Tom Moore might have Beethoven's source, but he
wasn't because he was already preparing his Irish Melodies for another
publisher. Even so half of Beethoven's melodies are taken from the same
source as Moore's. As I said, this ought be easy with the resources of
the Web, but it isn't. I would be very glad to hear the full story if
anyone knows it, as I am sure would Robert.

Will