Query: Adoption in Post-Soviet Film/TV/Fiction

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 28 14:31:06 UTC 2011

Season 1 of "ER" has a story arc in which a Russian girl is abandoned at the
County General Hospital by her American adoptive mother (disturbingly
wealthy and self-centered, apparently barely knows Russian herself) days
after having adopted her in Saint Petersburg. Tatiana is 6 years old, speaks
no English, and is dying of AIDS. Nurse Carol Hathaway bonds with Tatiana
and seeks to adopt her, but is rejected because of a suicide attempt that
occurred in the season premiere.

Hope that's the sort of thing you might be after; I happened to watch that
story arc a few days ago with my husband. Try not to cringe at Juliana
Margolies' pronunciation, eh? I did. Made my ears bleed.

Stephanie