Russian-English dictionary in Kindle - pros and cons?

Chernetsky, Vitaly A. Dr. chernev at MUOHIO.EDU
Wed Jun 8 15:34:29 UTC 2011

Dear All,
While I am not a Kindle user myself, there is, by now, a fair amount of Cyrillic titles in Kindle (many of them the result of a project started by Zaven Babloyan, a publisher and literary translator based in Kharkiv, Ukraine). These, however, appear to be all literary texts, not dictionaries. See:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/E-books-in-Ukrainian-and-Russian-at-Amazon-Kindle-Store/162451500450398

Best wishes,
Vitaly Chernetsky

Dr. Vitaly Chernetsky
Associate Professor
Dept. of German, Russian & East Asian Languages
Director, Film Studies Program
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
chernev at muohio.edu
tel. (513) 529-2515
fax (513) 529-2296
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of James Beale [James at russia-on-line.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:19 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian-English dictionary in Kindle - pros and cons?

As far as I know, the Kindle still does not support Cyrillic fonts.  One
title I have seen (Jim Levine's Grammar published by McGraw Hill) worked
around this by making the Cyrillic into images - I don't think that would
make for a very user friendly dictionary.

James Beale
Russia Online, Inc.

Tel: 301-933-0607    Fax: 301-933-0615
Shop online:  http://shop.russia-on-line.com