gorodishka

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Jun 18 21:30:44 UTC 2011

The difference between gorodishka and gorodishko is the spelling of
the final unstressed [a]. Clearly Lermontov and Pushkin lived before
there was a standardized spelling, Academy dictionary etc. Old
Pushking editions had various spelling of the same word on occasion.
This may be contemporary convention: fem. nouns we spell -ishka, masc.
nouns we spell -ishko. But there is not a single masc. noun listed in
Zaliznjak in -ishka.

Now, domina was mentioned earlier. Such nouns are not terribly common
either in Zaliznjak: голосина, животина, дождина кирпичина, мостина,
and that's about all (unless I missed something). Moreover, Zaliznjak
marks both genders next to these nouns which are all masculine without
the suffix. Храмина, хренина are marked fem. This is augmentative -
ina; singular -ina for abstract nouns (бисерина, изюмина) is always
fem. for the abstract masc. nouns.

AI

Jun 16, 2011, в 9:22 PM, Kevin Windle написал(а):

> There may be very few inanimates, but gorodishka is another (in
> addition to domina, cited by Denis). Authoritative editions of
> Lermontov's Geroi nashego vremeni have: Taman' samyi skvernyi
> gorodishka ...
>

> Google tells me, however, that some editions prefer -ishko: samyi
> skvernyi gorodishko.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University