gorodishka

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Jun 19 19:28:03 UTC 2011

I know some may see it as OCD.

It occurred ot me that nominative is not telling at all. So I googled
Instrumental. And the result is amazing:

About 19,300 results for городишкой

About 36,700 results for городишком

About 2:1 prefer masculine to feminine.

Another noun:

About 12,900 results for домишком

About 11,100 results for домишкой

So in reality about half of the tokens are for masculine and half for
feminine.

Not all feminine varieties are that lucky:

About 22,600 results for умишкой

About 264,000 results for умишком

almost 12:1, however the sheer number of examples with умишкой forces
me to pause and think.

So maybe the 6th edition of Zaliznjak could have some modifications in
this area.

AI

Jun 18, 2011, в 5:30 PM, Alina Israeli написал(а):

> The difference between gorodishka and gorodishko is the spelling of
> the final unstressed [a]. Clearly Lermontov and Pushkin lived before
> there was a standardized spelling, Academy dictionary etc. Old
> Pushking editions had various spelling of the same word on occasion.
> This may be contemporary convention: fem. nouns we spell -ishka,
> masc. nouns we spell -ishko. But there is not a single masc. noun
> listed in Zaliznjak in -ishka.
>

> Jun 16, 2011, в 9:22 PM, Kevin Windle написал(а):
>
>> There may be very few inanimates, but gorodishka is another (in
>> addition to domina, cited by Denis). Authoritative editions of
>> Lermontov's Geroi nashego vremeni have: Taman' samyi skvernyi
>> gorodishka ...
>>

>> Google tells me, however, that some editions prefer -ishko: samyi
>> skvernyi gorodishko.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University