gorodishka

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 20 05:37:10 UTC 2011

On 6/19/2011 12:28 PM, Alina Israeli wrote:
> I know some may see it as OCD.
>

> It occurred ot me that nominative is not telling at all. So I googled
> Instrumental. And the result is amazing:
>
> About 19,300 results for городишкой
>
> About 36,700 results for городишком
>
> About 2:1 prefer masculine to feminine.
>
> Another noun:
>
> About 12,900 results for домишком
>
> About 11,100 results for домишкой
>
> So in reality about half of the tokens are for masculine and half for
> feminine.
>
> Not all feminine varieties are that lucky:
>
> About 22,600 results for умишкой
>
> About 264,000 results for умишком
>
> almost 12:1, however the sheer number of examples with умишкой forces
> me to pause and think.
>

> So maybe the 6th edition of Zaliznjak could have some modifications in
> this area.
>
> AI
>
> Jun 18, 2011, в 5:30 PM, Alina Israeli написал(а):
I am relying on old memory and am not checking, but this reminds me of
what you get with the SGR dialects that lose the neuter
gender.  You get a "fem" noun, which takes fem. agreement, but a mixed
declension, with an Acc. in -u:  e.g., mestu, but Inst. mestom.
So let's see what gorodishko, umishko have in the Acc. case.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles