ne mozhno

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 3 10:25:02 UTC 2011

Well, no, it is not possible in standard  idiomatic Russian. The
correct way is to say 'nelzya', of course. There is a 'but', though.
It may be used as a response ironically to emphasize the negation. By
forming negation, simply adding 'ne' to the original word, not using
the standard negative, you attract a person's attention to the saying
as well as the fact of negation. The obvious environment for such a
use is home speech, especially kids' talk and kids' talk as reported
by the adults.

I would think the pragmatics of this device is similar to the
following  dialogue in English :
Mummy, can I go for a walk now?
No, you MAY not.
The actual device is quite the opposite, but goal seems quite close:
to  emphasize both the refusal and the saying.

For what it may be worth,
Elena Ostrovskaya