ne mozhno

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 3 13:19:32 UTC 2011

Thanks Elena,
you've hit the nail on the head re: the situation in which it occurred.  The student who uttered the phrase was explaining a concept to a slightly younger and much less experienced colleague.  He was obviously accommodating his speech downwards.  The illoctionary force was lost on me but probably not on the recipient who shut up after that.

I feel so much wiser now!

AM