pereVEdeno?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Mar 8 14:12:01 UTC 2011

I do not like the term "the system is breaking down". Unlike a piano
which when broken down cannot be used, the language whose system is
"broken down" just gets usually simplified, consider the formation of
plural nouns in Middle English; that system completely broke down.

What we do not know, and you did mention, is the social standing of
those natives. As a native myself, I can attest to the fact that those
in PTU, also Leningrad natives, and myself, spoke very differently. It
is they who moved the norm, it is us who wrote the dictionaries.

I don't know if such studies are being done now, but children in the
same high school and in different high schools in the same city should
studied, and their social strata factored in.

Mar 8, 2011, в 12:18 AM, Hugh Olmsted написал(а):

> Dear SEELANGovtsy:
>    I've got a question about current Russian pronunciation norms –
> specifically about accents in past passive participial forms from
> traditionally end-stressed past-infinitive system verbs like nesti,
> vezti, vesti. In the past few years I've been noticing instances of
> accent-placement that sound really strange to me:  specifically
> things like "pereVEdeno," "uVEzena", "vNEseny" (I use a simple
> translit/capitalized representation).
>    To my surprise, in my limited circles these seem to have been
> issuing forth from middle-aged-to-older-generation St. Petersburg
> natives, people from whom I would have expected to hear fairly
> standard literary Russian.
> Traditionally, of course, all past-infinitive system obstruent stems
> with infinitives in (stressed) -TI (plus the ones in -k/g with end-
> stressed past forms) automatically get pppple end-stress as well.
> Is this system breaking down?
>    So, respected colleagues, tell me: has anybody else been hearing
> things like this?  If so, who has been uttering them?  Do any of you
> have any socio-cultural, generational, geographical, or register-
> linked observations, suggestions, generalizations?
>    Or if you're a native speaker, would YOU ever say such a thing?
> If so, maybe you could say a word or two about your background,
> generation, etc.?
>    Maybe somebody has encountered some discussion of this
> phenomenon, whether in school books, prescriptive-normative
> "kul'tura rechi" discussions, or in more scholarly linguistic
> treatments?
>    I would be really grateful for any observations or thoughts you
> might have on the topic.  Thanks for your wisdom.  I'll look forward
> to responses: please post to the list as a whole.
>
> Hugh Olmsted

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University