pereVEdeno?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Mar 8 16:43:00 UTC 2011

е>ё is probably quite productive as loan words can proove it: affaire
—> афёра. I am aware of the fact that dictionaries specifically
state афера [не афёра]. The brackets in "Trudnosti"
dictionaries are a sure sign that that's how a lot (too many) people
are saying it. In a mocking way people say слушать опёру,
the rule applies: under stress, after soft, before hard.

Mar 8, 2011, в 10:26 AM, H.P. Houtzagers написал(а):

> I'm not sure that everybody would expect that. First the e-ë
> alternation is due to a change of e > ë  that took place in Russian
> centuries ago but it does not have to be a productive alternation in
> contemporary Russian. Second, even in that very remote past the law
> e > ë did not work before a soft consonant.
>
> Peter Houtzagers

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University