No subject

R. M. Cleminson rmcleminson at POST.SK
Fri Mar 18 15:26:15 UTC 2011

Church Slavonic was never the state language of Russia.

An East Slavonic vernacular was used for administrative and commercial purposes from the earliest times uninterruptedly to the present day.

Church Slavonic was used for cultural purposes ("high" literature, learned texts) in mediaeval times, and persisted in this function (which cannot by any stretch of the imagination be regarded as a state language) until the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century.  By 1696 Ludolf was urging the use of Russian for these purposes ("Forsan hoc specimen Russos persuadebit, posse & in vulgari dialecto aliquid imprimi, sicuti Nationi Russicae decori et utilitati foret, si more aliarum gentium propriam linguam excolere atque bonos libros in ea edere conabuntur") and within a short time this was indeed being actively promoted by the government.

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Od: "anne marie devlin" <anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM>
Komu: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Odoslané: štvrtok, 17. marec 2011 18:57:12
Predmet: [SEELANGS]

Dear Seelangers,
this is a copy of a post from another list I subscribe to.  I'm sure many of you know the answer, ad if you don't mind I will send it on.
Many thanks
AM

I know this isn't a normal question for Funknet but...Do any of you know
when Russian became the state language of Russia, replacing Church Slavonic?
For some reason I seem to be having trouble finding out this information.
Thanks,
John