The quick brown fox

Mon Mar 28 17:45:36 UTC 2011

Dear Stephanie,

> Ah, but the sentence doesn't say "The horse that was raced past the
> barn fell" - the very nature of garden path sentences is their
> difficulty in parsing, and it's against the rules :P to add or
> subtract words from the sentence.

Well, the sentence /can/ be parsed as intended, but it won't until the
listener/reader comes to "fell" because the intended construction is so
rare and the unintended one is so commonplace.

I won't quibble about terminology. I've explained what happens, and you
seem to understand. I'll leave it to others to decide what to call it.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com