sam s lokotok, a nos s korobok

Loren Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Sun May 8 17:21:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 23:51, Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Вот родился у нас отец, сам с локоток, а нос с коробок.
>
> I understand the lokotok as a measure of length (a cubit, I think).  But what is the point of the korobok?  Is it that his nose is square?  That it is large (in spite of the diminutive ending!)?

###The use of _s_ + accusative case is a matter of approximate
measure. If three-dimensional, then it's volume--not shape. My
dissertation, _Approximation in Russian and the single-word
constraint_ (Princeton 1995, Ann Arbor: UMI 1996, also available on
line at <roa.rutgers.edu>) discusses this construction extensively.
--Loren Billings

--

Loren A. Billings, Ph.D.
Associate professor of linguistics