translation help

Irina Shevelenko idshevelenko at WISC.EDU
Sun Nov 6 18:19:31 UTC 2011

In (1), do you mean "teaching of foreign language"? In Russia, they often cater foreign language instruction to one's field of study, with ability to read texts in a foreign language in this field as a main focus of instruction. "Estestvennaia spetsial'nost'" sounds somewhat awkward, but must be a designation of a field of study ("natural sciences").

(2) There is no equivalent of VAK in the US. VAK confirms degrees such as "kandidat nauk" and "doktor nauk." After one defends, his/her dissertation and other relevant materials are sent to VAK, and VAK either confirms or does not confirm the degree. In the US, an institution where a defense takes place is the sole authority to confirm the degree.

I.Sh.