MA Program in Slavic at Florida State University

Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya lwakamiy at MAILER.FSU.EDU
Tue Nov 15 16:01:50 UTC 2011

MA Program in Slavic at Florida State University

The Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics at Florida State
University has expanded its faculty and interdisciplinary MA
curriculum in Slavic to include emphases in (1) Russian and South
Slavic cultural studies, literature, and critical theory, and (2)
Russian language pedagogy and Second Language Acquisition.

Our MA program emphasizes cultural and literary studies and SLA
methodologies within a core curriculum that includes comprehensive
coursework in nineteenth- and twentieth-century and contemporary
Russian literature.

Students may also take interdisciplinary graduate seminars such as
Introduction to Critical Theory and Queer Theory while working with
faculty in Arabic, East Asian, French, German, Italian or Spanish to
gain expertise in comparative literary and cultural studies. Our
graduate instructor TAs teach courses ranging from Russian language
to Multicultural Cinema.

Our MA students have been accepted to leading PhD programs in Slavic,
English, Education, and Linguistics in North America. With their
strong linguistic and cultural proficiency, our graduates have gone
on to careers and internships with the US State Department,
Department of Defense, Defense Language Institute (Monterey), human
rights organizations and private firms.

Application deadline:
February 15, 2012: To be considered for admission in Fall 2012 and to
be eligible for a TAship.

For further information, please consult our website at
http://www.fsu.edu/~modlang/divisions/russian/graduate.html or
contact Prof. Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya at lwakamiya at fsu.edu.

Thank you for sharing this information with interested students and colleagues.