foil

Petre Petrov petrepet at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 20:18:38 UTC 2011

I don't think you'll find a single word that does the job. The essential
meaning is that an image or character "воспринимается по контрасту с
другим." This "другой" is the foil. Of course, I am not suggesting that you
should use what I just wrote in Russian for your purposes. Indeed, you will
have to calibrate the Russian wording according to the particular context.

PP

P.S. I also don't know what "Soviet thinking still exists" is supposed to
mean. Bad day? Poor digestion? Lingering trauma? Certainly the wrong place
to let out whatever is pressing from within.

2011/10/13 Prokhorova, Elena V <evprok at wm.edu>

> Oops!  I meant as a literary term.
>
> "Foil has many meanings and you do not want to give us context---Soviet
> thinking still exists."
>
> Not even a smiley face after this judgement? :)  And I have no idea what
> you mean by that!
>
> Sincerely,
> Elena Prokhorova
> College of William and Mary