Duke MA Program in Slavic and Eurasian Studies

Jehanne Gheith, Ph.D. gheith at DUKE.EDU
Sat Oct 15 12:52:46 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

We have a small, new, thriving interdisciplinary MA program that I want to call your attention to. Please send interested students our way and let me know if you have any questions about the program. All best, Jehanne Gheith (Director of Graduate Studies)

DUKE UNIVERSITY M.A. IN SLAVIC AND EURASIAN STUDIES
Duke University’s Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies invites applications for its Fall 2012 Master of Arts program.  This two-year graduate program is tailor-made to develop students’ intellectual interests and train them for their chosen careers.  Working out individual plans of study with the Director of Graduate Studies, our M.A. students may prepare for further graduate work in a regionally related discipline or careers in business, government, journalism, nonprofit work, and public policy.
PROGRAMS AND CURRICULUM:
Master's students at Duke may elect to concentrate in 1) Russian literature and culture; 2) Slavic linguistics; or 3) Slavic and Eurasian studies.  These tracks enable students to develop proficiency in a variety of Eurasian languages (Russian, Persian, Polish, Romanian, and Turkish).  Our diverse faculty provide training in a wide array of specializations, including:

  *   Art History
  *   Cultural Anthropology
  *   Cultural Studies
  *   Film
  *   Gender Studies
  *   History
  *   Information Literacy
  *   Islamic Cultures
  *   Linguistics
  *   Literary Studies

  *   Market and Legal Studies
  *   Political Science
  *   Religion
  *   Semiotics
  *   Theater Studies
  *   Translation
  *   Visual Culture
Our Department collaborates closely with the Departments of Cultural Anthropology, English, Literature, Romance Studies, Theater, Women's Studies;  the Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics; the Duke Islamic Studies Center; and the Film/Video/Digital Program.
DEPARTMENT FACULTY:
Primary Faculty
Edna Andrews.  Ph.D. Indiana University.  Cognitive and neurolinguistics; Slavic and general linguistics; semiotics of culture; poetics; Bulgakov; Zamiatin.

Carol Apollonio.  Ph.D. UNC-Chapel Hill.  Russian literature; translation; theory of  translation.

Jehanne Gheith.  Ph.D. Stanford University. Russian literature and culture; gender studies; Gulag history; memory and trauma studies.

Erdag Göknar. Ph.D. University of Washington. Turkish literature and cultural studies; comparative research in Middle Eastern and Eurasian studies.

Beth Holmgren.  Ph.D. Harvard University. Russian literature and culture; Polish literature and culture; gender studies; theater history; culture of the Russian and Polish diasporas.

Elena Maksimova. M.A. Leningrad State University.  Bunin; Russian stylistics; Russian film; scientific, scholarly, and legal Russian; certified proficiency tester.

Denis Mickiewicz.  Ph.D. Yale University.  Russian poetry; modernism; comparative poetics; music.

Mustafa Tuna.  Ph.D. Princeton University.  Russian and Central Eurasian history and culture; Islam in Turkey and Central Eurasia.

JoAnne Van Tuyl. Ph.D. UNC-Chapel Hill.  Russian language; Russian literature; Russian and African American comparative studies; instructional technology for Russian as a foreign language.

Joint Faculty

Johanna McAuliffe.  M.F.A. Yale University.  Literary and  cultural criticism;  directing;  Russian drama.

Secondary Faculty

Martin Miller. Ph.D. University of Chicago.  Russian history; history of psychoanalysis in Russia; comparative terrorist movements.

Julie Tetel. Ph.D. UNC-Chapel Hill. Linguistic historiography, focusing on French, German,  and American theories of language from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries.

Adjunct and Visiting Faculty

Michael Newcity.  M.A., J.D. The George Washington University.  Russian law.

Pamela Kachurin.  Ph.D. Indiana.  Russian visual culture; contemporary Russian art;  art and politics; Soviet artists.

Ernest Zitser.  Ph.D. Columbia University. Librarian, Slavic and East European Collection. Early modern Russian history; autobiography; Russian visual culture; Slavic information literacy.

St. Petersburg University Faculty and Slavic and Eurasian Studies-related Faculty

The Duke Slavic Department has an ongoing faculty exchange with St. Petersburg State University. Since 1988, one professor from Russia has come to teach at Duke each semester. M.A. students are also encouraged to sample courses taught by the many other Slavic and Eurasian Studies-related faculty at Duke, listed at http://www.duke.edu/web/CSEEES/duke_faculty.html

FINANCIAL SUPPORT:

Financial support for full-time M.A. students is available from the Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies. We aim to support 2-3 qualified candidates for the study of a Eurasian language. M.A. students are also encouraged to take advantage of our teaching apprenticeships and research assistant opportunities.

APPLICATION INFORMATION AND DEADLINES FOR FALL 2012:

JANUARY 30, 2012 - Priority deadline for submission of Master's applications for admission and award for the fall semester.  For more information about our programs, programs, admissions, application requirements, please go to http://gradschool.duke.edu/admissions/index.php or contact:

Professor Jehanne Gheith, Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies
316 Languages Building, Box 90259
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0259
Tel: (919) 660-3140; Fax: (919) 660-3141; Email: gheith at duke.edu<mailto:gheith at duke.edu>