Unpaid translation work

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 5 20:21:49 UTC 2011

If someone is looking for truly cheap translation services, may I
suggest using Google translate.  It's what my students frequently do
(sigh!) and provided they've spelled everything correctly in English,
haven't used too many glaring idioms, and have put punctuation in
where it belongs*, you'll get a moderately correct translation 8 times
out of 10 (I can tell they've done it because they submit assignments
that use grammar we have yet to cover in class such as past
participles...).  And then 1 time in 10 (in my experience) you get
some really funny results.

Try out the sentence:  "On Mondays we go to swim lessons," for an
example of "say what?"
*And then the results of a misplaced comma (a student did this and it
took me awhile to figure out how he'd arrived at the sentence he
submitted in his homework):  "I, like anatomy, and want to become a
doctor."

But it's free!  (BTW If anyone else has some examples of Google
translate howlers [in either direction] that they can share -- so I
can scare my students away from it -- I'd be much obliged.)

Emily Saunders