Inviting undergrads to a Master's program: MARCA, St. Petersburg

Sergei Erofeev erofeev at EU.SPB.RU
Fri Sep 16 09:29:41 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

The European University at St. Petersburg is happy to report that it has
successfully launched a second Master's program MARCA (eu.spb.ru/marca).
As you know, with the launch of a second international Master's program,
the European University at St. Petersburg had to temporarily terminate
the undergraduate program "USSR".  However, we would like to invite
motivated undergrads to take part in the spring 2012 semester of the
MARCA program.

Unlike the IMARES program, MARCA is fully focused on Russian culture and
the arts.  Here are the MARCA courses available for Spring-2012:
- The Political Culture of the Russian Revolution (Boris Kolonitskii)
- The Social History of Russian Literature (Alexander Panchenko)
- Unofficial Late Soviet Culture (Stanislav Savitsky)
- Russian Media, Culture and Society (Sergey Erofeev)
- The Home of Russian Tsars: Palace, People, Collections (Roman
Grigoriev)
The courses differ in their structure slightly from one professor to
another in terms of the lectures/seminars ratio, but they are not
substantially different from the structure of the USSR courses.

Some details for undergrads:
- Since MARCA is an MA program, it should be considered even better for
BA credit transfer.  We have the syllabi for those interested and the
timeline is just one week longer (1 February through mid-May).
- The apartment search assistance and other extra-curricular conditions
will be the same as for the USSR undergraduate program.
- All MARCA courses are one semester in length and there are no specific
prerequisites.  Students can choose courses of their liking and as long
as an undergrad follows the main material, submits the course papers and
participates in the seminars, s/he should be fine with the grades.  We
have had motivated undergrads for a semester and sometimes they were
even better than Master students.

Anyone, regardless whether a BA or an MA student, who successfully
completed a MARCA semester, receives a EUSP Certificate of Study.

With the fixed tuition fee of $5,250 students are entitled to take from
3 to 5 courses from the list plus the Russian language course.  As to
the language, we have 6 different level groups (each studying for 8
hours per week).  The Russian language course is not for credit unlike
the subject courses, but it is possible to take it for credit by adding
more language classes and/or individual homework per week with a
slightly higher tuition.

Since it is a Master's program, we require two recommendation letters
instead of one, and a CV.  The other documents remain the application
form (attached), a statement of purpose and a current transcript of
studies.

Hope it will interest your colleagues and students.  I will be happy to
answer more questions.

Dr. Sergey Erofeev
Director of International programs
European University at St. Petersburg