American students/Russian racism

David Borgmeyer dmborgmeyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 03:56:40 UTC 2011

Dorogie kollegi,

I know that periodically the
topic of racism and American students studying in Russia has been raised on SEELANGS,
and I don’t want to revisit the whole topic with my question.  However, I have a nontraditional African-American
student who is interested in studying in Russia through the Critical
Language Study scholarship program in Ufa, Vladimir, or Kazan.  She isn’t concerned about 'petty' racism as
much as potential threats to her personal safety.  Does anyone on the list have recent information, anecdotal or otherwise,
about African-American students’ experiences and/or racially-motivated violence
in these places or with this program?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

DB