American students/Russian racism

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 09:16:08 UTC 2011

David,
Out of the many identity issues facing students living in another culture (be they American or not), race and gender seem to be the most salient.  From what I have witnessed, racism (and sexism) exists at a low but constant level.  Direct attacks or extreme threats are very rare.  Students, especially females, often feel under threat due to a difference in subject positioning.
 It might be an idea to get your students to read Pellegrino Aveni's book Study Abroad and Second language Use. Constructing the Self.  It's an analysis of ethnographic material - diaries, interviews etc - taken from students in a study abroad programme in Russia.  It gives excellent insight into the difficulties they may experience in expressing their identity.  I can't remember if racism is dealt with in particular, but I think it will be interesting reading nontheless.
AM