Seeking piloters for Georgia Tech Critical Languages Song Project

Goldberg, Stuart H stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU
Tue Sep 27 18:28:09 UTC 2011

Dear SEELangers,

I would like to introduce to our community the Georgia Tech Critical Languages Song Project.  Under the auspices of a US Department of Education International Research and Studies grant we are developing semester-long web-based courses in advanced Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Russian culture and language through song.

Our website is clsp.gatech.edu.

I am director of the program and designer of the Russian materials.  I write today because we are seeking programs and instructors at other universities who would be interested in piloting our materials, ideally during this coming spring semester.

>From here on out, I'll refer specifically to the Russian course.  This is a fourth-year culture course with a serious intellectual component to be taught in Russian.  It is based around a corpus of 21 songs ranging from 1930s popular music and gypsy song to bards, rock and other contemporary forms.  It is divided into 15 units that are intended to conform to a university semester.  The songs form compact platforms from which we branch out to explore in depth facets of Russian culture and history.  Each unit progresses through an introduction, listening exercises, text-notes-context, questions for understanding, topics for discussion and writing and suggestions for further listening.

One of the key challenges that these materials are intended to meet is the great diversity of proficiency levels in the fourth-year classroom -- from students who have spent an entire year abroad studying in their discipline at a Russian university to heritage speakers to students who have the minimum on-campus preparation.  Computer-based delivery of a rich web of content/context surrounding the carefully annotated main corpus of songs allows for engagement by less proficient students and guided exploration of cultural context on the part of more proficient readers-listeners who have spent significant time abroad.  All can then come together in a single meaningful conversation in class.

If you might be interested in participating in the pilot and would like to review materials, please contact me off-list at sgoldberg at gatech.edu.

With best regards,
Stuart Goldberg