copyright in 1939 Soviet publication

Patrick Corness pjcorness at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 1 18:47:27 UTC 2012

Hi, I would like to publish my translation of a poem by Stepan Shchipachev, Po doroge v sovkhoz. I believe it was published in 1939 and the author died in 1980. Could anyone please advise on the copyright situation? Although the original work was published well before Soviet Russia subscribed to international copyright conventions, I have it on good authority that author's rights may apply retrospectively to an English translation. Any rights experts out there?