copyright in 1939 Soviet publication

Michael Newcity mnewcity at DUKE.EDU
Wed Aug 15 19:19:13 UTC 2012

Some time ago Patrick Corness asked about the copyright status of a Russian
poem originally published in the USSR in 1939.  Copyright in works published
in the USSR prior to May 27, 1973 (when the Soviet Union joined the
Universal Copyright Convention) were in the public domain under US copyright
law UNTIL January 1, 1996.  At that time, copyright in such works was
automatically restored in the U.S. as long as the work was still protected
in the country where it was originally published.  Thus, in the case that
Patrick asked about, if the author died in 1980, copyright protection in
Russia would still have been effect when the U.S. copyright was restored in
1996 and, thus, it is still subject to copyright protection in the U.S.

Regards,

Michael Newcity

Center for Slavic, Eurasian, and East European Studies

Duke University

Box 90260

Room 303, Languages Building

Durham, NC  27708-0260