russian enrollment statistics

Donna Orwin donna.orwin at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Aug 23 14:39:27 UTC 2012

Dear Sasha,

It might be helpful if you amalgamated the stats  from different places and posted these in one file on SEELANGS.  You might also  summarize the different strategies recommended for advocating for Russian language instruction.  Our program here at Toronto is robust at the moment and not under threat, but it is always helpful to collect data from elsewhere for conversations within the university.

All the best,

Donna
Donna Tussing Orwin, Professor of Russian and Chair
University of Toronto
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
421 Alumni Hall
121 St. Joseph St.
Toronto, ON M5S 1J4
CANADA
tel. 416-926-1300, ext. 3316
fax 416-926-2076

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sasha Spektor
Sent: August-22-12 9:06 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] russian enrollment statistics

Dear Seelanguagers,

Our Russian program at Vanderbilt is under a  threat of reduction.  Our department is meeting with the dean next week to plead our case.  My sense is that Russian language enrollments have been growing in the past couple of years, but it would be great to get some statistical data behind it.

Could you possibly send me (Sasha Spektor) your student numbers?  I would compile a small data analysis sheet to present it to the dean with the rest of our arguments.  You can do so either on the list (if you think others might be interested) or off at xrenovo at gmail.com<mailto:xrenovo at gmail.com>

I greatly appreciate your help.

Hope you are all doing well,
Sasha.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/ -------------------------------------------------------------------------