Mayakovsky translation inquiry

Carlotta Chenoweth cchenowe at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 31 09:50:05 UTC 2012

Dear Seelangers,

I'm working on a translation of Mayakovsky's poem "Broadway", which
contains a particularly tricky line about the New York City subway system -

Вагоны / едут / и дымам под рост,

и в пятках / домовых / трутся...

The first question pertains to the use of "дымам" - does it imply that the
trains are traveling with tall smoke? The use of the dative is
befuddling. My translation currently reads as such -

The wagons / travel / under tall smoke,

Rubbing shoulders with one another,

On the heels / of household ghosts.

Secondly, if anyone has any clearer suggestions for translating "трутся"
here, it would be most welcome. I think I may be extrapolating a bit too
much from such a small word. Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Carly Chenoweth

P.S.
A full version of "Broadway" may be found
here.<http://feb-web.ru/feb/mayakovsky/texts/ms0/ms7/ms7-055-.htm>