Evreinov's "Storming of the Winter Palace"

Daria Khitrova khitrova at UCLA.EDU
Tue Feb 21 08:41:44 UTC 2012

Complete footage (about 20 minutes) is in Krasnogorsk film archive (RGAKFD).
As far as I know, it was never commercially released.
Best, Daria Khitrova

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Dassia Posner
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 20:32
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Evreinov's "Storming of the Winter Palace"

Dear Edyta,
I have sent this information to Kathleen Tobin as well, but for those others
among you who are interested, footage of Evreinov's Storming is available
online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXv3MmpTXEE
beginning at about 5:00.  There is lots of other rare Soviet theatre footage
in this surprisingly wonderful collection of clips, including Mikhoels as
Lear,  and scenes from Vakhtangov's  Princess Turandot, Meyerhold's Les and
Revizor, and Tairov's Hairy Ape.
Best,
Dassia Posner
_____
Dassia N. Posner, Ph.D
Assistant Professor, Department of Theatre, Northwestern University

On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Edyta Bojanowska wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
> I copy below a colleague's query.  She would be very grateful for any
leads about the archival footage of Evreinov's 1920 "Storming of the Winter
Palace."  Please send your replies directly to Kathleen Kennedy Tobin at
kktobin at gmail.com.  Thank you very much,
> Edyta Bojanowska
>
> ***********************
> From Kathleen Tobin:
>
> I am seeking a copy of the 1920 archival footage of the Soviet Mass
Spectacle "Storming of the Winter Palace", directed by Nicholas Evreinov.
I know the footage has been in private circulation but I am not certain if
it was ever commercially released in any country.   Most internet video
pertaining to this event is of course Eisenstein's work, often mislabeled as
documentary footage; I think my best chance to see the real thing will be
through academic channels.  I am building a puppet show of the re-enactment
for performance in Brooklyn next month (March 2012) and am eager to see more
evidence of  the original production.   The Lenfilm listing for this film
??????? ????????.   Thanks for any leads!