ASEEES 2012: Boundaries in Film Studies - Screen, Medium, Discipline

Anne Eakin Moss amoss8 at JHU.EDU
Thu Jan 12 16:04:59 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

We have assembled what we hope will be an interesting group of papers
for a three-panel series at ASEEES 2012 focusing on how Russian/Soviet/
Post-Soviet film engages with the screen as boundary, film as a
medium, and film theory, tentatively called "Boundaries in Film
Studies: Screen, Medium, Discipline." We're hoping that making this a
series will encourage an on-going and wide ranging discussion of
contemporary film theory as it relates to Russian and East European
cinema and new media.

The three panels break down chronologically:

1) on pre-war cinema (Eakin Moss on the fourth wall and special
effects, Papazian on Vertov [tentative], Shcherbenok on suture and
diegetic objects),

2) on auteurs (Efird on Tarkovsky and Deleuze, Chefranova on
remediation in Tarkovsky and Sokurov, and Wilson on Sokurov and
auterism)

3) on post-Soviet cinema and new media (Gray on product placement in
Bekmambetov, Shembel on Tarkovsky and new media)

We are in need of one more paper on post-Soviet cinema and/or new
media. We also need some discussants and chairs. Please respond to
Anne Eakin Moss (aeakinmoss at jhu.edu) or one of the other organizers if
you are interested in filling any of these roles.

All best,

Anne Eakin Moss
Daria Shembel
Andrey Shcherbenok