Redina

Chaput, Patricia chaput at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jan 25 19:20:09 UTC 2012

Regarding "redina" I don't think there can be a single English equivalent.
A search of images shows some embroidery on "redina," but the fabric in
different pictures isn't identical. I would call the fabrics in the images
of embroidery muslin, a loosely woven fabric used for clothing, household
items, and also usable in food preparation (like cheesecloth).  Muslin comes
in many grades (tightnesses of weave).  It is not a single fabric (it can be
cotton, linen, silk); the name applies to the loose weave.   Muslin,
however, is a "working fabric," not something fine and used in ball gowns.
That would more likely be organza or tulle.

Another source on redina says the following:  "Перед раскроем надо
просмотреть весь кусок ткани для выявления недостатков (пятно, дыра, редина,
уплотнение нитей, неравномерность окраски, и т.п.).  Все дефекты следует
обвести намёточным швом." [Pered raskroem nado prosmotret' ves' kusok tkani
dlja vyjavlenija nedostatkov  (pjatno, dyra redina, uplotnenie nitej, ...).
Vse defekty sleduet obvesti nametochnym shvom.]   In this passage, redina is
simply an area that is loosely woven, a defect in the fabric.

Redina appears to be a generic word for "loosely woven fabric," for which
there is no single word in English that covers all of the meanings.  At
least that is my best guess.

Pat Chaput
Harvard U.