Oh those booths

Tue Jan 31 14:09:40 UTC 2012

Goloviznin Konstantin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There is some doubt about pronunciation of the word booths.
> Dictionaries  give two variants for singular of it. Those are [buːð]
> and [buːθ]. Сorrespondingly the plural for them should be [buːðz] and
> [buːθs]. But listening to it on the site www.howjsay.com gives
> [buːðs]. Am I right about my hearing and this time it's  only some
> exception to the rule "after voiced - voiced, after unvoiced -
> unvoiced" or something else?

I hear [buːðs] on the website, as you do, but I find it unnatural; I
would have [buːθs], but have heard and would accept [buːðz].

As for the singular, I cannot imagine anyone saying [buːð] to rhyme with
"soothe" and "toothe." In all my travels, I don't think I've ever run
into a "boothe-sayer."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com