Oh those booths

Guy Netscher Guy.Netscher at COMMUNICAID.COM
Tue Jan 31 14:29:57 UTC 2012

Hi all.  As a British English speaker, I can say that [buːð] to rhyme with "soothe" can occur in some parts of the UK.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: 31 January 2012 15:10
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Oh those booths

Goloviznin Konstantin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There is some doubt about pronunciation of the word booths.
> Dictionaries  give two variants for singular of it. Those are [buːð]
> and [buːθ]. Сorrespondingly the plural for them should be [buːðz] and
> [buːθs]. But listening to it on the site www.howjsay.com gives
> [buːðs]. Am I right about my hearing and this time it's  only some
> exception to the rule "after voiced - voiced, after unvoiced -
> unvoiced" or something else?

I hear [buːðs] on the website, as you do, but I find it unnatural; I
would have [buːθs], but have heard and would accept [buːðz].

As for the singular, I cannot imagine anyone saying [buːð] to rhyme with
"soothe" and "toothe." In all my travels, I don't think I've ever run
into a "boothe-sayer."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com

Nous vous souhaitons de très bonnes fêtes de fin d’année.
Communicaid n’adresse pas de cartes de vœux et s’engage à reverser l’équivalent à Unicef www.unicef.org<http://www.unicef.org>

| T‚l‚copie : +32 (0)2 808 31 91 |Courriel : Guy.Netscher at communicaid.com | www.communicaid.be<http://www.communicaid.be/>
Blog<http://blog.communicaid.fr/> | Communicaid | 6th Floor | Rue Guimard/Guimardstraat, 9 | 1040 Brussels | Belgium

<http://www.linkedin.com/

Les informations contenues dans ce message et les piŠces jointes (ci-aprŠs ®le message¯) sont ‚tablies … l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentielles. Si vous n'ˆtes pas le destinataire de ce
This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author only. Furthermore, this message (including any attachment) does not create any legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever, which may only be created by the exchange of hard copy documents signed by a duly authorised representative of The Communicaid Group Ltd.