Is it of much use?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Thu Mar 8 17:02:03 UTC 2012

In discussing Russian aspect with some students the other night and
the verb "to read" in particular, it came up that the presence of
other words in the sentence (inclusion of the object, time adjectives,
etc.) affects the aspectual meaning of the English verb to a large
extent.

For instance
He read - is a statement that the action occurred - он читал
He read the book - is necessarily perfective - it implies he finished
the book - Он прочитал книгу.

BUT

He read HIS book last night....  -- isn't quite so clear cut as to
whether the book was finished and most likely it wasn't.

The proposed system could be a useful aid for those studying English
-- and in classifying present perfect as a form of the present tense
-- for Russian learners in particular.  But I don't think that the
English verb tense system by itself can match the Russian aspectual
one without a lot of qualifiers.

My rough two cents,

Emily Saunders

On 08.03.2012, at 7:33, anne marie devlin wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:02:32 +0000
>> From: John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
>> Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Is it of much use?
>> To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
>>
>> Thank you, Anne Marie, for this helpful clarification. I agree that
>> it makes sense to describe the English verb in terms of tense +
>> aspect, but where I have difficulty is in interpreting 'I have
>> read' as a present tense. It does, after all, correspond more or
>> less closely to past tense forms in other European languages (j'ai
>> lu, ich habe gelesen, я (про)читал, and I would hazard a guess that
>> most native speakers who are unfamiliar with this model would class
>> it as a form of past tense. This is what I mean by being 'at odds
>> with my own intuitive understanding'. I can see that this model is
>> nice and schematic and that it might have advantages for learners
>> (though it does make it hard to account for 'I have been reading'),
>> but whether it describes what is really happening with the English
>> verb is perhaps less certain. Having said that, however, I am not
>> sure that I want to propose an alternative!
>>
>> John Dunn.
>>
>> P.S. On second thoughts I have nothing pressing to do this
>> afternoon, so let's go for it. The problem, as I see it, is that
>> the English verb is a form of three-dimensional chess: unlike its
>> equivalent in most other languages, it does not content itself with
>> either one (tense or aspect) or two (tense and aspect) categories,
>> but has three distinct categories, which I shall call tense, aspect
>> and series (pinching and adapting a term from Georgian grammar).
>>
>> Tense: Present (I do; I am doing; I have done*), Past (I did etc.),
>> Future (I'll do etc.)
>> Aspect: Non-Perfect (I do; I am doing; I did; I'll do), Perfect (I
>> have done; I have been doing; I had done; I'll have done)
>> Series: Simple (I do; I did; I have done; I'll have done),
>> Continuous (I am doing; I was doing; I have been doing; I'll have
>> been doing**)
>>
>> I haven't listed all the forms for reach category, but I hope you
>> can see from the selective list how each category interacts with
>> the other two. In particular, each tense and aspect has separate
>> forms for the two series. According to this model each verb form
>> can be identified by indicating all three categories:
>> I do is Present tense, Non-Perfect aspect, Simple series
>> I was doing is Past tense, Non-Perfect aspect, Continuous series
>> I'll have done is Future tense, Perfect aspect, Simple series
>> I have been doing is Present tense, Perfect aspect, Continuous series
>>
>> I would feel quite pleased with myself, but I am sure that someone
>> must have got here long before I did (and someone else must have
>> rejected it). The next question, though, is why on earth we need
>> all these different forms.
>>
>> *You will see that model makes 'I have done' present. There is, it
>> seems, no escape.
>>
>> **As in: by next July I'll have been living in Bologna for six years.

>>> (= teacher of English from Saint-Petersburg) has proposed a system