My limericks

John Dunn John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
Thu May 31 13:12:36 UTC 2012

I agree with Paul Gallagher and Robert Orr about the chorus/Horace rhyme, though since I once composed a limerick in which I attempted to rhyme 'cook' with 'duck' (you can try to get away with that sort of thing provided you come from certain parts of the North of England), I don't feel in a position to cast aspersions.  Russian is a very good language for limericks, since the principles of versification are very similar to those of English, but not all Slavonic languages are equally suited to the form.  I have a collection of Polish limericks*, but in spite of contributions from no less a luminary than Wisława Szymborska, all it demonstrates, alas, is that Polish versification and the limerick are not compatible.

John Dunn.

*Anna Bikont, Joanna Szczęsna, Limeryki, Prószyński i S-ka, Warsaw, 1998.