My limericks

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu May 31 15:03:21 UTC 2012

Actually, I think the tendency in English language poetry over the past century has been for exact rhymes to be used for comic effect, especially in short poems, while slant rhymes, sight rhymes, and other more dissonant variations are used, when there is rhyme at all, for more serious purposes. It's a constant topic among translators of poetry.

Russell Valentino

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of R. M. Cleminson
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:04 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] My limericks

This discussion seems to be predicated on the assumption that Professor Townsend intends his limericks to have perfect rhymes.  He is maintaining a discreet silence, but this may not be the case.  The not-quite rhyme is often used for comic effect, and there are precedents in the work of the Master himself, Edward Lear, for example (I quote from memory):

 There once was a man who said "Hush!
 I perceive a young bird in this bush."
 When they asked "Is is small?"
 He replied "Not at all: