My limericks

Ivan S. Eubanks ieubanks at PUSHKINIANA.ORG
Thu May 31 15:10:34 UTC 2012

RE:  Cleminson:  This is a great example that upholds the spirit of the
limerick as a genre.

I should add that Professor Townsend has encyclopedic knowledge of
multiple phonological variants, and the historical circumstances giving
rise to them, in a variety of languages.  I'm confident enough in his
knowledge that I'd scan is limericks just to find out whether a given
pronunciation was viable.

Concerning the short "o"--"HAriss" sounds like something Archie Bunker
would say were he to succumb to an apoplectic fit over "Ars poetica" or
"Exegi monumentum" (although I can also imagine his wife, Edith,
screaming it at the top of her lungs when he finally frustrates her enough).

Ivan S. Eubanks, Ph. D.
Editor
Pushkin Review
www.pushkiniana.org