Roncesvalles: a poem by Shalamov.

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 21 19:57:46 UTC 2012

Dear Robert,
I, the other way round, would go with your first version. The sentence, in
my understanding, goes like this:
I saw ... the sword - the witness of the events long past - which the
mountains volunteered to guard.

Guarding events does not make much sense to my Russian ear and events
guarding anything even less.

The only thing that does not support my version is the lack of the second
dash in Shalamov's text, unlike my English interpretation. I would still
rather go along with it (especially, since punctuation is often ellipitic)
than have to explain how it is possible to guard something that is
temporary, such as events.

Hope it helps,
Lena.

Elena Ostrovskaya,