Deadline this Friday (AATSEEL pre-reg); AATSEEL Awards for Teaching, Service, and Scholarship

Nancy Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Wed Nov 28 14:14:04 UTC 2012

Dear AATSEEL Members and Slavists more broadly:

We are delighted to announce the winners of the 2012 AATSEEL awards for
Teaching, Service, and Scholarship. Please join us for the award ceremony at
this year's conference in Boston (3-6 January 2013). The AATSEEL President's
Reception and Awards Ceremony will take place Friday evening, January 4 from
9-11pm at the Hyatt Regency Boston.  Conference pre-registration closes this
Friday, 30 November at http://www.aatseel.org/registration.  After that date
on-site registration only will be available.

Note: Members interested in participating in the Advanced Seminars (on
Russian film by Yuri Tsivian and on contemporary poetry by Stephanie Sander)
are urged to sign up as soon as possible.  These seminars (and the Featured
Workshop on intensive language instruction led by Thomas Garza) are free and
open to a limited number of AATSEEL members who register in advance for the
AATSEEL conference.  AATSEEL members (already registered for the conference)
should email Katya Hokanson at  <mailto:hokanson at uoregon.edu>
hokanson at uoregon.edu for availability.  For details, see
http://www.aatseel.org/program/special-events-2013/.

Congratulations to our AATSEEL awardees!

1.       Excellence in Teaching (K-12):
Elena Lokounia and Elaine Kukin (Baltimore International Academy)

2.       Excellence in Teaching (post-secondary):       David Birnbaum
(University of Pittsburgh)

3.       Service to AATSEEL:
Sibelan Forrester (Swarthmore College)

4.       Service to the Profession:
Wayles Browne (Cornell University)

5.       Contribution to Scholarship:
Stephanie Sandler (Harvard University)

PS: On Thursday, January 3, we offer a two-hour Job Interviewing Workshop,
as well as a reception for graduate students to meet senior faculty.
AATSEEL's 2013 workshops include sessions on Dynamic Assessment (Rimma
Ableeva), Digital Humanities (Quinn Dombrowski), Translation (Sibelan
Forrester), Cognitive Science and its Implications for Teaching (Serafima
Gettys), and The Russian National Corpus (Ekaterina Rakhilina).  A panel on
poet-scholars/scholar-poets will combine a reading and a conversation on the
links between creative writing and scholarship (Polina Barskova, Anna
Glazova, and Eugene Ostashevsky).  As ever, we are grateful to American
Councils for International Education for their sponsorship of the conference
coffee break, which give us time between panels to talk informally about our
work.

Best wishes, Nancy Condee (President, AATSEEL 2011-2012)

Prof. N. Condee, Director
Global Studies Center (NRC Title VI)
University Center for International Studies
University of Pittsburgh
4103 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
+1 412-363-7180