CFP: Brown University Graduate Student Conference - April 12-13, 2013

Christopher Carr christopher_carr at BROWN.EDU
Wed Nov 28 17:00:39 UTC 2012

Call for Papers
Brown University Graduate Student Conference
April 12-13, 2013

The graduate students and faculty of the Department of Slavic Languages at Brown University are pleased to announce our upcoming graduate student conference on the subject of “Obsession.” The conference will take place April 12-13, 2013. We are currently soliciting proposals for individual papers (no panels) on topics related to the theme of obsession in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian literature, history, and culture in any historical period. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

Art and neuroses
Obsession as self-preservation
Home-sickness
Sexual, erotic, and romantic obsession
Political obsession, fixations on East and West, Slavic messianism, imperialism
Shifting obsessions within the Slavic Studies community
Apocalypticism
Spiritual obsession
Narcissism
Myth-making and cultural heroes
Science, technology, and progress
Utopianism
Death and mortality
Revenge
Jealousy and envy

This will be a two-day conference comprised of formal panels, informal roundtables, and other events. Breakfast, lunch, and lodging with graduate students or faculty will be provided for all participants. Conference proceedings will be published in the soon-to-be-revived Brown Slavic Contributions.

Please submit paper titles and abstracts to ObsessionConference2013 at gmail.com by January 15, 2013 to receive consideration.