ASEEES Panel on Russian Drama

Lisa Yountchi lisayountchi2011 at U.NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Wed Oct 10 15:44:59 UTC 2012

Dear SEELANGERS,

Due to a last minute cancellation, we are looking for one more panelist for
our ASEEES panel on Russian Drama. If you might be interested in
participating, please contact me off list. I have included a description of
the panel below.

Thank you in advance,

Lisa Yountchi
Visiting Scholar and Lecturer
Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Pennsylvania

Title of Panel:
Russian Drama in Imperial Russia and the Soviet Union
*
*
Organizer: Lisa T Yountchi (University of Pennsylvania)
Chair: Brian R. Johnson (Swarthmore College)
Discussant: Mila Shevchenko (U of Denver)

Papers:

The Image of Suicide in Chekhov's The Wood Demon: Lisa Yountchi, University
of Pennsylvania

Direction for the Stage and the Lens: Tarkovsky’s Aesthetics Theatrical and
Cinematic: Kolter Campbell (Northwestern University)
Brief Description:

This panel is focused on late 19th century and 20th century Russian Drama.
Our analysis shall focus on performance, reception, and the relationship
between playwright and society. In particular, we aim to better understand
how dramatic works reflected central problems of the time and were
perceived by Russian, amd Soviet audiences. The first paper, by Lisa
Yountchi, examines how Chekhov’s The Wood Demon responded to the “epidemic
of suicide,” which plagued Russian society from the 1860s to the 1880s. The
second paper, by Kolter Campbell, compares and contrasts the films of
Andrei Tarkovsky with his staging of Mussorgsky’s *Boris Godunov*. By
examining the limitations and opportunities of both the proscenium and the
camera lens, this paper will help delineate the roles of actor and director
in performing arts as well as the significance the time of performance
carries within two distinct if often confused media.