Chekhov in French

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 11:02:50 UTC 2012

Dear Seelangers A student of mine has just been to see a production of the Seagull in French.  She noticed a discrepancy between the translation of the play which she read in French and the text used by the cast.  She felt that the language of the translation used in that production was considerably less 'flamboyant' and more' modern' than that which she had read and reached the conclusion that the production modified the language to make it more accessible to 21st century audiences.  It is my feeling that the less 'flamboyant' translation is possibly closer to Chekhov.   I would be very interested to get your opinions Thanks AM