FW: IWP's most recent venture

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Oct 25 17:58:12 UTC 2012

Some really interesting work here (which I believe several SEELANGs list members have contributed to). I'm just forwarding this. If you have questions or comments, please write directly to Natasa (natasa-durovicova at uiowa.edu<mailto:natasa-durovicova at uiowa.edu>).

Russell

From: [...] On Behalf Of Durovicova, Natasa
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:15 PM
Subject: IWP's most recent venture

http://iwp.uiowa.edu/whitmanweb/en/section-1

is now live. The multilingual/multimedia gallery can also be reached via iwp.uiowa.edu<http://http:/iwp.uiowa.edu/whitmanweb/en/section-1> and via Facebook, and is viewable in mobile format.

Note that while "Song of Myself" will be appearing weekly (for the next 52 weeks) in all nine languages, the Comments and Question feature (and some of the paratext) is at present only available in Persian and Russian, and the audio in English and Persian only.  We hope to be adding Chinese to the former list next. If anyone out there feels compelled to translate even a portion of the now untranslated Comments material into one of the other languages, we'd love to hear from you...... (write me directly rather than go through the generic Contact page).

The next tab, Arabic, will go live in 2013.

Finally, none of this would have been conceivable without the fantastic resource that is the Whitman Archive (find the tab on the WhitmanWeb gallery): check out the helpful introductions to the assorted Whitman translations, as well as an excellent discussion on the overlap of translating, philological editing, and digitization.

Now go like us on FB....and be sure to sign up for the RSS feed.

natasa

Natasa Durovicova
Editor, www.91stMeridian.org<http://www.91stmeridian.org/>
International Writing Program