poedyvaet

John Dunn John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
Tue Sep 4 14:26:58 UTC 2012

I think that it does work if you accept that поёдывать [pojodyvat'], being facetious, is a transgressive form, in that works by applying the right logic in the wrong place.   In which case the parallel is simpler:
if from поебать [pojebat'] you can form поёбывать [pojobyvat'], then from поедать [pojedat'] it should be possible to form поёдывать [pojodyvat'].  It probably helps that any close parallels that would counter this 'logic', such as the поедовать [pojedovat] mentioned by Will Ryan are few in number and rare.

Curiously the pair поёдывать/поёдываю [pojodyvat'/pojodyvaju] and поедовать/поедую [pojedovat'/pojeduju] reproduces one of the features that distinguished Russian and Church Slavonic at the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, as reflected, for example, in Polikarpov's Leksikon trejazyčnyj.  I somehow doubt, however, that this impinges on the linguistic consciousness of present-day Russians of a facetious cast of mind.

John Dunn.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Goldberg, Stuart H [stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU]
Sent: 04 September 2012 15:32
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] poedyvaet

I don't think this does the trick. All the imperfective/iterative
derivatives from that root have a ё (cf. выёбываешься =
выпендриваешься), as do many noun derivatives. Note also the ё in ёб,
which, I recall from an article by Uspensky, is an archaic masculine
past tense. In the case of есть, such parallels don't come to mind.