Russian Teaching Assistants

Meredig, John jm3 at EVANSVILLE.EDU
Tue Sep 4 17:35:59 UTC 2012

Thanks to all for your very helpful suggestions! I realize that I left out one vital piece of info (this is, unfortunately, especially relevant for Josh's comment about unemployed Slavists, as well as the applicants for the "position"), and that is the question of funding. Since Russian is an officially designated critical language, Fulbright pays for everything, including a very generous monthly stipend (which is not true of "non-critical" languages such as Spanish, French, and German). All the host university has to provide is a roof over their head. This is basically the only way we could afford them, since our university will not pony up any money beyond the stipend for a Spanish FLTA (and French and German are next in line, given the numbers). The French government, for example, funds a teaching assistant program that sends recent French college grads to the States, much like Fulbright, but I've never heard of any such programs funded by the Russian government.

In any case, thanks again for the suggestions-all avenues are worth exploring!

Best,

John Meredig
Dept. of Foreign Languages
University of Evansville