P Riot and Russian enrollments

Richard Robin rrobin at EMAIL.GWU.EDU
Wed Sep 12 19:25:57 UTC 2012

*- Пусси Райот international fame had a positive impact upon Russia-related
class enrollments in American universities. Has anyone else other than
Troitsky noticed that?*

Yes. GW's enrollment projections based on May-June registrations looked
like we might lose our intensive program and a section (or two!) of our
three regular track first year sections. In fact, I voiced my
concerns publicly at the end of June on Misha Kozyrev's Mishianina program
(about US students taking Russian) on Серебряный дождь (100.1 FM) By
August, it became clear that we would survive. First year has 35 (normal
would be 40-45) - still enough to support three sections. Intensive got 12
(the low end of normal; high is 16). I thank Pussy Riot for our survival!

-Rich Robin

--
Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program