FW: Urgent request for Russian literary translation

Graham, Seth s.graham at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Sep 18 14:58:55 UTC 2012

Dear SEELANGS,

English PEN is seeking volunteer English-to-Russian translators for a collection of poems in support of Pussy Riot.  Please see below for details, and please contact Sophie Mayer directly (sophie at sophiemayer.net<mailto:sophie at sophiemayer.net>) if you are interested.

All the best,

Seth

D r S e t h G r a h a m
Lecturer in Russian
School of Slavonic and East European Studies
University College London
Gower St London WC1E 6BT
Office location: 16 Taviton St. (the SSEES Building), room 330
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 8735
s.graham at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:s.graham at ucl.ac.uk>

From: Sophie Mayer [mailto:sophie at sophiemayer.net]<mailto:[mailto:sophie at sophiemayer.net]>
Sent: 18 September 2012 14:51
Subject: Urgent request for Russian literary translation

Dear all:

My name is Sophie Mayer, and I am a writer and teacher, most recently at the University of Middlesex.

I am currently working with English PEN on a campaign called Poems for Pussy Riot: we are collecting poems from English-language writers with two intentions: to publish them, and keep alive media interest in the case; and to send the poems to the band in Russia.

For the latter, we need to have the poems translated. We already have some wonderful translators volunteering for us, but we are receiving far more poems than expected and seeking further English-to-Russian translators. The band's appeal takes place on 1 Oct, and their lawyers warn us that they could be moved to penal colonies, out of contact, so that is our firm deadline for collecting translations.

I am writing in the hope that you may have colleagues, students, or acquaintances who would consider translating a few poems in the next 10 days. The poems are short, and varied. We are hoping that technology will allow us to include the translations in the ebook we are making, and of course we will give full credit to translators.

I appreciate that you must all be very busy with the start of the new term, and I am grateful for any assistance that you can provide,

Thank you
Sophie Mayer

writer and editor
http://www.sophiemayer.net