Tolstoy KS translation

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Sep 19 08:11:29 UTC 2012

Michael,
Not a problem, though more commonly in English in the phrase  "of the
first water". See OED s.v. water:

      originally (with implied comparison to a jewel), of the highest
      excellence or purity; now only following a personal designation
      (often of reproach) with the sense ‘out-and-out’,
      ‘thorough-paced’.  [Similarly in French]

so the expression means "love of the purest kind".

Will